Higgidy are purveyors of some of the finest pies, quiches and sausage rolls around (even if we do say so ourselves!). From our humble roots as a small family business founded by husband, wife and their best friend (who are all still in the business today) we’ve grown steadily over the last twelve years and now boast a team of more than 300 permanent staff at our offices here in West Sussex.
To support this continued growth, we are now looking for a Production Manager to join us.
The role will focus on managing and developing our growing production teams – the core of our business. To significantly develop our people, structure and systems such that we continue to become a better, happier and more efficient operation.
Furthermore, the role of the Production Manager will be to ensure that the designated Unit’s manufacturing facilities can make product to all standards and specifications governed by legal and customer requirements; make product to satisfy volume, variant, quality and service parameters; deliver Unit profitability to equal or exceed Board requirements.
- Ensure departments adhere to all Company Health and Safety practices and procedures, taking appropriate action where necessary to ensure compliance by all the departments. Working with the H&S Manager, continually review working practices to ensure optimum H&S conditions within their areas of responsibility
- Input into the strategy for future manufacturing needs aligned to the business plan, providing justification for resource and capital expenditure requirements
- Contribute to the setting and review of budgets and operate manufacturing within these parameters
- Achieve and seek to exceed agreed KPIs e.g. wastage, productivity, labour spend, and HR related KPIs (absence, retention, training)
- Develop and implement a department plan to achieve the KPIs and strategic objectives. Communicate relevant the department plan, business information and KPIs to your team
- Identify operational issues and opportunities with products, processes and systems to relevant parties
- Review and evaluate manufacturing best practice and new thinking to drive process improvements within the business
- Create a culture of continuous improvement across the whole team
- Champion GMP within the manufacturing area, ensuring the area meets all technical requirements of the business, including BRC and PPC standards, at all times. Work with relevant departments, continually review working practices to ensure optimum hygiene and GMP conditions within the unit and drive through improvements within manufacturing
- Lead and develop the department managers. Ensure the departments are effectively managed by the department line managers , including for example:
- Ensuring all schedules are met
- Resourcing requirements of the departments are met
- All training needs for the department are delivered in accordance with Company procedures and staff are developed
- All processes and systems are adhered to
- Performance, conduct and absence issues are effectively managed
What we're looking for (essential):
- have proven experience managing a large team within a food manufacturing environment;
- have proven experience of adhering to schedules, managing waste levels, audit standards, non-compliances and labour spend;
- demonstrate the ability to inspire and enthuse a team and drive performance through effective people management skills;
- have strong communication skills to influence at all levels of the business;
- be quality focused – acting with customer in mind at all times;
- build strong and effective relationships;
- be flexible and adaptable to meet changing business demands.