H&S Manager (FTC)
- Monday to Friday, 09.00 – 17.30, although flexibility is required during peak periods
- 6 months fixed term contract
- 24 days annual leave basic allowance, exclusive of bank holidays
Higgidy are purveyors of some of the finest pies, quiches and sausage rolls around (even if we do say so ourselves!). From our humble roots as a small family business founded by husband, wife and their best friend (who are all still in the business today) we’ve grown steadily over the last twelve years and now boast a team of 300 permanent staff at our offices here in West Sussex.
To support this continued growth, we are now looking for a H&S Manager to join us on a fixed term contract for 6 months. Within Higgidy we are committed to providing a safe, responsible and collaborative workplace – and you will be a big part of supporting this! This role will be working within our busy Operations Team, and is key to voicing concerns of employees, raising great ideas and providing a system for the inclusion of everyone’s ideas in making Higgidy a great place to work.
Your role looks at current legislation in HS&E and translates to Higgidy what we must do and how we can do it in a practical way in line with Higgidy’s culture and values. You will be expected to:
Safety & Environment related
- To work within Higgidy’s culture and values whilst supporting the Operational and Central leaders in delivering their energy, resources, environmental and H&S responsibilities at source
- To deliver core elements of the objectives & KPIs for Higgidy and providing data for analysis.
- To work with teams and coach them in delivering Environment, Safety and Safety Risk improvement strategies
- To maintain effective working relationships with key contacts, Higgidy managers and employees.
- To deliver as necessary the elements of our management system such as:
- Risk assessments and localised improvements
- Compile source data for performance dashboards on waste, energy, safety and Environment.
- Monitor waste movements on site
- Monitoring and improving the Environment systems such as Energy, water usage and improving performance in their utilisations.
- Investigate and report on incidences and events
- Ensure a system is in place so that all fire incidents, accidents, RIDDORs & near misses are reported, investigated & resourced in line with Higgidy values and legislation.
- To ensuring follow up investigations and actions are completed and documented.
- To research new technologies and ideas for improving Higgidy’ s HS&E systems and to implement changes required to current legislation within Higgidy as appropriate
- Ensure Company has required level of first aid and firefighting equipment, fire marshals and first aiders in place and appropriate training is delivered, including regular refresher training
- To coach teams in best practices to assist with delivery of safety, waste, energy and environment performance.
- To deliver training modules for safety, waste, energy and environment activities and to ensure programme of specific training to employees in areas such as for example COSHH, FLT and manual handling
The ideal candidate will be:
- An experienced H&S Manager, or currently working at Advisor level and looking to step up into a Manager role, with experience from a manufacturing or production environment ideally
- Experienced in influencing teams and building relationships inside and outside the organisation
- Proactive and adaptable
- Accurate, methodical and organized with an eye for detail
- Driven, with a true desire to be a big part in the future of a fast growing food brand – the decisions you make will play a part in the future of our business, both operationally and strategically!
In return, we can offer you a competitive salary, an online benefits programme via our Higgidy Hub, access to our Bupa Employee Assistant Programme, free on shift refreshments and access to Wi-Fi, as well as a generous annual leave allowance which increases with every years’ service.