Shift Managers – Night Shift (Food Production)
Higgidy are purveyors of some of the finest pies, quiches and sausage rolls around (even if we do say so ourselves!). From our humble roots as a small family business founded by husband, wife and their best friend (who are all still in the business today) we’ve grown steadily over the last twelve years and now boast a team of 300 permanent staff.
We are now looking for someone to join our busy Production team here at Higgidy as Shift Manager. On our nights team. Our hours are 06.45 – 07.00 for our night teams. You will be working a “4 on, 4 off” pattern, so you will work for four consecutive days and then get four days off in a row!
This role sits within our Production team, in a factory environment, and will ensure production targets are met to the required quality standards whilst delivering in the key performance areas of H&S, GMP, cost, material usage, productivity, efficiency and waste levels.
The Shift Manager will:
- Manage resource levels within set budgets to deliver schedules. Plan resources longer term to manage seasonal and promotional peaks in demand. Identify opportunities to reduce labour spend where possible without compromising schedule adherence, quality, safety or waste. Liaise with Production Manager over shift labour budgets.
- Develop & lead your teams to allow them to deliver the daily schedules and the department plans
- Drive role responsibility with all team members. Ensure the team understand the department KPI's and how this drives the production area to achieve success. Monitor departmental performance and take action to rectify performance outside of tolerances. Ensure the teams understand their current performance levels.
- Establish culture of compliance to company policies and processes on shift. Liaise with other departments to effect change to enable improved compliance by production. By analysing management data and understanding barriers to compliance, develop plans to improve compliance in your team
- Implement change on shift in accordance with department plan. Champion within your team and with your peers a culture of Continuous Improvement. Identify cost saving and improvement opportunities and work with your manager to develop concepts into viable change projects. Ensure all change is planned, well communicated and the teams are fully engaged to ensure all change sticks.
- Complete root cause analysis on non-conformance issues, identifying improvements for safety, quality, supply and efficiency
- Monitor waste and identify opportunities to improve processes to reduce waste, liaising with other department as appropriate. Ensure significant or ongoing waste issues are investigated to understand their root cause
- Ensure QMS are adhered to in order that key customer's codes of practice are met. Communicate quality requirements and standards to the team so that the importance of the standards are understood and practiced by the shift teams
- Develop training plans to ensure teams have requisite skills for short, medium and long term, making sure teams have available resource to deliver the training plans. Identify talent for the future and ensure key roles have succession plans in place
- Ensure teams understand department goals and targets. Deliver regular briefs.
- Ensure that teams are adequately trained in health and safety practices, and are adhering to company health and safety procedures
- Ensure team can identity and understand how to manage Health and safety risk and report H&S issues promptly for investigation
- Develop Section Managers so they are engaged, skilled and motivated to deliver effectively in their roles
- To be a part of the EPD and NPD processes from concept to delivery, advising process team on practicalities of production
- To be visit & audit ready within 20 minutes of notice
- You may from time to time be asked to deputise to cover some or all of the duties of the Production Manager in their absence.
To be considered for this role you must have:-
- Experience of team management
- Experience of working in a factory environment
- High skills in the use of Microsoft Office
It would be great if you also had the following – but it isn’t a deal breaker!
- Level 2 Food Safety & Hygiene
In return, we can offer you a competitive online benefits programme via our Higgidy Hub, access to our Bupa Employee Assistant Programme, free on shift refreshments and access to Wi-Fi, as well as a generous annual leave allowance which increases with every years service.